WPM

21 August, 2020

FRAGMENTS AND RUN-ONS🧩🏃‍♀️

A complete sentence has three components:

  1. A subject (the actor in the sentence)
  2. A predicate (the verb or action)
  3. A complete thought (it can stand alone and make sense—it’s independent

FRAGMENTS🧩

A fragment is an incomplete sentence because is missing one of these parts.

Example: 

Began 30 minutes ago(What began?
We've got a predicate but no subject, this is a fragment.

THE MOVIE BEGAN 30 MINUTES AGO.
That is a sentence!


How do you find and fix your fragments? Remember the basics: subject, verb, and complete thought. If you can recognize those things, you’re halfway there. Then, scan your sentences for subordinating conjunctions. If you find one, first identify the whole chunk of the dependent clause (the subject and verb that go with the subordinator), and then make sure they’re attached to an independent clause.

RUN-ONS🏃

A run-on sentence is when you write two complete sentences but they are connected improperly (without using a coordinating conjunction or proper punctuation).

Example:
 I love to write papers I would write one every day if I had the time.

How to fix them?

Use a period: 
I love to write papers. I would write one every day if I had the time.
Use a semicolon
 I love to write papers; I would write one every day if I had the time.
Use a subordinating conjunction
Because I love to write papers, I would write one every day if I had the time.

Fragments and run-ons seem like beginner problems, but they happen more often than you think! Always check what you write, look for this kind of mistakes.
I know for a fact that I will screw texts up with these. 😗✌

No comments:

Post a Comment

wHaT dO yOu thINk?